Goals and Implementation Strategies
The MetroFuture goals will help the region capitalize on its most important assets: its diverse people and landscape, a history of innovation, and a commitment to education and civic engagement. The goals describe the region that MetroFuture seeks to achieve.
- Sustainable Growth Patterns: Population and job growth will be focused in developed areas already well-served by infrastructure.
- Housing Choices: A diverse array of housing choices will meet the needs of the region’s residents.
- Healthy Communities: Residents will be safe, healthy, well-educated, and engaged in their community.
- Regional Prosperity: A globally-competitive regional economy will provide opportunity for all the region’s workers.
- Transportation Choices: An efficient transportation system will offer more choices and make it easier to get around.
- Healthy Environment: Natural resources will be protected thanks to a strong “environmental ethic.”
Each of these is supported by more specific sub-goals, which together define the shape of the MetroFuture plan; as well as by numerical objectives, which will allow the region to assess whether it is moving towards the MetroFuture vision.
Making our MetroFuture goals a reality will require a comprehensive
approach to bringing about change in the region. The changes we must make will take time and require new priorities, but they are necessary steps toward attaining the region we want to leave to future generations.
The strategies listed below include recommendations for short- and long-term planning, policy and spending changes at every level of government, and steps that can be taken by the private sector and even by individual households across the region. Together, they will serve as a critical guide for achieving the MetroFuture goals by 2030.
MAPC is already hard at work on numerous projects to advance MetroFuture. As of March 2014, MAPC is engaged in 168 projects including ongoing work, such as sub-regional coordination, as well as discrete, time-limited projects. The agency analyzes our work for geographic distribution, attention to our MetroFuture goals, and other factors. For more information on MAPC’s work, click here to download a pdf summary of our current projects.