Wear a Mask:
COVID-19 Social Media
A resource for Massachusetts cities and towns
Encouraging residents to wear masks in public is essential to slowing the spread of COVID-19 in Massachusetts. On this page, we've compiled sample social media posts and images that cities and towns can use to spread the word to their followers.
Have questions or need help? Email Digital Communications Specialist Elise Harmon at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Basics: How to Post
- Don't post everything at once! Try to space out your posts: you can post twice in a day if you'd like, but space posts out so more people will see them.
- Experiment with posting at different times so that more people are likely to see your messages.
- Amplify other sources on social media, such as official sources, health professionals, and experts, by sharing or retweeting their posts.
The Center of Disease Control has created a social media toolkit that includes sample messages, graphics, and videos to post on Facebook/Pinterest, Twitter, and Instagram. The toolkit includes messaging on stopping the spread of germs, wearing masks, the "do"s and "don't"s of cloth face coverings, and social distancing.
To save an image from the website, click on it to expand it to full size. Then, right click and select "save image as."
More Sample Language
Copy and paste the text below--each paragraph is a new message. Feel free to edit to make more sense for your municipality!
Remember, @MassGovernor has ordered everyone to wear a face covering where social distancing isn't possible: both indoors and outdoors! Do your part to slow the spread: #WearAMask
It's possible to have COVID-19 without showing symptoms: #WearAMask in public to prevent unintentional transmission.
Remember to bring a mask when you leave the house: put it on in situations where you can't maintain a distance of 6 feet or when you're indoors in a public space! #WearAMask
If you're visiting a restaurant, remember to wear a face covering unless you're seated at your table. Protect yourself, restaurant employees, and your fellow diners: #WearAMask
Wearing a face covering correctly can help prevent the spread of COVID-19 in our community. Remember, a mask should cover both your nose and your mouth! #WearAMask
If you have a cloth mask, remember to wash it regularly! Use soap or detergent and hot water to kill any lingering germs. #WearAMask
Keep [city/town] safe! #WearAMask
Other topics to post about:
- Where to buy or get a free mask in your community
- Your municipal rules around mask-wearing
- If you know that infection rates are rising in your community, call attention to it and remind people about the importance of wearing a mask.
- Is there a problem spot where many people don't wear masks? Remind people to wear a mask when they can't socially distance on the beach/in the grocery store/wherever you're noticing a problem.
More Sample Images
Click the images below to expand: then right-click and choose "save image as" to save to your computer. Images are provided in the correct aspect ratio for each social media platform.