Regional Cultural Tourism Project
The Regional Cultural Tourism Project is a collaborative effort by MAPC and the Towns of Concord, Lexington, and Arlington to build local capacity to measure and expand the economic impacts of tourism through increased inter-municipal collaboration, strengthened connections among local tourism assets and businesses, and amplification of under-represented contemporary and historical narratives, past and present, particularly for these towns’ African American communities.
The Regional Cultural Tourism Project includes three related elements:
The Regional Market Analysis aims to assess the economic impacts of tourism in Arlington, Lexington, and Concord and establish inter-municipal data collection strategies for tracking these impacts moving forward. Ultimately, it aims to provide the scaffolding for a regional approach to tourism and economic development planning.
The compilation of the regional data strategy relied on facilitated conversations with key staff from partner municipalities, which focused on municipal goals, strategies, and questions about tourism, tourism activities, and available data. It also incorporated a subsequent review of relevant plans, websites and social media, marketing materials, and reports and data.
- Arlington Chamber of Commerce, “Visit ArlingtonMA,” 2022. Link: https://www.visitarlingtonma.org/.
- Arlington Commission for Arts and Culture, “Arts Arlington,” 2022. Link: http://artsarlington.org/.
- Battle Road Scenic Byway, Battle Road Scenic Byway Website, 2022. Link: https://battleroadbyway.org/.
- Cambridge Economic Research, “Economic Impact of Arlington’s Theatres,” 2013. Link: https://www.arlingtonma.gov/home/showpublisheddocument/27196/635862862568500000.
- FinePoint Associates, “Arlington Heights, Bedford Center, and East Lexington Village Local Rapid Recovery Plan,” 2021. Link: https://www.mass.gov/doc/arlington-bedford-lexington-rrp-final/download.
- Metropolitan Area Planning Council (MAPC), “Regional Tourism Data Strategy,” 2022. Link: Draft Regional Data Strategy.docx.
- Metropolitan Area Planning Council (MAPC), “Tourism Market Analysis,” 2022. Link: Draft Tourism Market Analysis.docx.
- Open the Door, “Tourism Benchmark Plan: Town of Concord, MA,” 2019. Link: https://www.concordrec.com/DocumentCenter/View/2620/Concord-Tourism-Strategic-Plan-10-22-19.
- Open the Door, “Tourism Marketing Plan” (Lexington), 2020. Link: https://www.lexingtonma.gov/DocumentCenter/View/4969/Lexingtons-Strategic-Tourism-Marketing-Plan-2020?bidId=.
- Town of Concord, “Visit Concord Massachusetts,” 2022. Link: https://visitconcord.org/.
- Town of Lexington, “Visit Lexington Massachusetts,” 2022. Link: https://www.tourlexington.us/.
- US Department of Transportation, “Minute Man National Historical Park: Feasibility Study for Town-led Shuttle Service,” 2021. Link: https://rosap.ntl.bts.gov/view/dot/59100.
Partners: Town of Arlington, Town of Concord, Town of Lexington