Smart Growth & Regional Collaboration
MAPC's Clean Energy Department provides a range of services to communities, including comprehensive local energy and climate planning, energy-related technical assistance, and collective clean energy services and products procurement.
Our goal is to advance markets for clean technologies and innovations throughout communities in order to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and dependence on fossil fuel consumption in the Commonwealth.
“Clean energy” comprises renewable energy, which comes from renewable or non-carbon resources, and energy efficiency measures. Our Clean Energy department works on a variety of related projects: from advancing renewable energy technologies, such as solar and wind, to educating cities and towns about energy-use reduction strategies for municipal facilities, to organizing group procurements of LED streetlights and clean vehicle technologies. Implementing clean energy is all about reducing fuel usage, whether by introducing completely carbon-free technologies or by reducing the amount of energy everyday systems use.
Sign up for our monthly clean energy newsletter.
LEARN MORE ABOUT OUR CLEAN ENERGY WORK
- Energy Storage and Resiliency
- Green Communities Support
- Green Municipal Aggregation
- Peak Demand Management
- Shared Energy Staffing Services
- Clean Vehicle Technologies
- Clean Heating and Cooling
- LED Streetlight Retrofits
- Solar Contracting & Best Practices
- Residential Energy Efficiency Outreach
Our team helps municipalities plan for the future with climate and energy action plans, from net zero plans to local energy action plans and greenhouse gas inventories. We support communities in understanding and managing their energy use through developing current baselines, proper metrics and accounting methodologies, short- and long-term goals, and strategies for reaching their objectives. Learn More...
Our team helps connect cities and towns to climate-smart innovations that create a multi-benefit platform for data management, energy efficiency, green municipal aggregation, municipal and community shared solar, energy storage and resiliency, and more. Learn More...
Our team leverages economies of scale and shifts the burdens of administration and technical expertise from the municipality to MAPC. Our collective procurements streamline the competitive procurement process cities and towns need to undertake to purchase clean energy products and services. Learn More...
MAPC offers several easy ways to get involved right now in our clean energy work:
- Check out our new resources for developing a community greenhouse gas inventory for your city or town! MAPC's Step-by-Step Guide and Community Greenhouse Gas Inventory Tool are available to download here. You can also listen to a recording of our virtual training on the resources, held on June 25, 2020.
- Read our white paper, Hot, Clean, Cool: Clean Heating and Cooling Opportunities for Massachusetts Municipalities. Available here.
- Check out our new Climate Zoning web page and stay tuned for more resources!
Municipal Clean Energy Toolkits
MAPC's toolkits offer step-by-step instructions for implementing local clean energy strategies that are specific to communities in Massachusetts, as well as best practices, model documents, and case studies. See a full list of toolkits and other publications from our department.
If you have questions or comments about MAPC's clean energy services or would like to be added to the vendor notification list for solicitations, contact Clean Energy Director, Cammy Peterson.