Smart Growth & Regional Collaboration
The Green Communities Designation and Grant Program, an initiative of the Green Communities Division of the Massachusetts Department of Energy Resources (DOER), provides funding to qualified municipalities for energy efficiency and renewable energy initiatives once designated as a Green Community. Communities must meet five criteria in order to receive this designation.
Why it's important
The Green Communities program provides an opportunity for municipalities to obtain grant funding for energy efficiency and renewable energy projects, as well as publicly demonstrate their commitment to clean energy efforts at the local level.
Learn More About Our Work
- Energy Storage and Resiliency
- Green Communities Support
- Green Municipal Aggregation
- Peak Demand Management
- Shared Energy Staffing Services
- Clean Vehicle Technologies
- Clean Heating and Cooling
- LED Streetlight Retrofits
- Solar Contracting & Best Practices
- Residential Energy Efficiency Outreach
MAPC is available to support your community's efforts to participate in the Green Communities Designation and Grant Program. Services that MAPC staff have provided in the past include:
- Municipal energy baselining, including help with setting up/organizing MassEnergyInsight accounts and tracking down missing data
- Compiling and editing Energy Reduction Plans (helps to meet criterion #3 for Green Communities)
- Compiling and submitting Green Communities Designation and Grant applications
MAPC staff can provide Green Communities technical assistance on a contract basis, based on staff availability.
Communities just starting out on the path to Green Communities designation should first contact their regional coordinator at DOER to learn more about program requirements and notify them of intent.
For more information, please contact MAPC's Clean Enery Manager, Cammy Peterson