Promoting Smart Growth & Regional Planning
The Green Communities Designation and Grant Program, an initiative of the Green Communities Division of the Mass. Department of Energy Resources (DOER), works with municipalities toward qualification as a Green Community and provides funding to qualified municipalities for energy efficiency and renewable energy initiatives. There are 5 criteria that communities must meet in order to receive this designation.
Why it's important
The Green Communities program provides an opportunity for municipalities to obtain grant funding for energy efficiency and renewable energy projects, as well as publicly demonstrate their commitment to "green" efforts at the local level.
LEARN MORE ABOUT OUR WORK
- Local Energy Planning
- Energy Related Technical Assistance
- Regional Procurement
- Community Choice Aggregation
- LED Streetlight Retrofits
- Community Shared Solar
- Green Communities
- Shared Energy Staffing Services
- Clean Vehicle Projects
- Legislation & Policy
MAPC is available to support your community's efforts to participate in the Green Communities Designation and Grant Program. Services that MAPC staff have provided in the past include:
- Municipal energy baselining, including help with setting up/organizing MassEnergyInsight accounts and tracking down missing data
- Compiling and editing Energy Reduction Plans (helps to meet criterion #3 for Green Communities)
- Compiling and submitting Green Communities Designation and Grant applications
MAPC staff can provide Green Communities technical assistance on a contract basis, based on staff availability.
Communities just starting out on the path to Green Communities designation should first contact their regional coordinator at DOER to learn more about program requirements and notify them of intent.
For more information, please contact Cammy Peterson, Clean Energy Manager.