News & Updates
Keep your eye out for the full draft Master Plan for 2 weeks of public review in early June!
Stay up to date with Vision of Tomorrow: Wrentham Master Plan 2030 by signing up for our email list!
About the Project
Vision of Tomorrow: Wrentham Master Plan 2030 is a town-wide master planning process that will provide the basis for decision-making in Wrentham for the next 10 years. The Wrentham community will evaluate the town's strengths and challenges and envision the type of community Wrentham would like to be in the future.
This plan will be developed through a public process engaging the community’s residents, business owners, and leadership and will be built upon research, analysis, and community involvement.
We are currently in Phase 1 of the Master Plan, which includes developing a shared vision for the future of the Town, as well as strategies and actions for Housing and Economic Development. The graphic below illustrates the final outcome of the Master Plan process: we’ll develop a Vision Statement with aspirations for the future; we’ll identify the most pressing issues and opportunities for the community; and we’ll prepare define goals, strategies, and actions related to housing and economic development.
The project will include a robust community engagement process with many chances for Wrentham community members to get involved through public meetings and forums, online engagement, and more. A robust public process will ensure that the final plan reflects the needs of all residents. Town staff is guiding the planning process, with the help of a Steering Committee of local community members. In addition, the Town has hired the Metropolitan Area Planning Council to help with preparing the plan.
At the end of the planning process, it is intended that the Master Plan will be adopted by the Board of Selectmen and Planning Board to support effective implementation. As shown in the graphic below, the Vision will guide the preparation of the Housing and Economic Development goals and strategies of the Master Plan. In turn, the Master Plan goals and strategies will guide the Town’s priorities, zoning, and investments.
Ella Wise, Senior Regional Land Use Planner
Rachel Benson, Director of Planning and Economic Development
Louis Allevato, Resident at Large
Stephanie Duquette, Executive Assistant to Town Administrator/Resident
Diane Glass, Landscape Committee
George Labonte, Deputy Police Chief/Resident
Jerry McGovern, Select Board
Laurence McGovern, Open Space Committee
Jeffrey Plante, Resident at Large
Steve Schwarm, Planning Board
Alan Selling, Open Space Committee
Everett Skinner, Jr., Planning Board
Jeffrey Spratt, Economic Development Committee
Selena Zubrowski, Landscape Committee
The Vision Statement provides a north star for the future of Wrentham. It is a statement of identity and aspirations developed through a public process, and it provides a framework for Vision of Tomorrow: Wrentham Master Plan (Vision of Tomorrow). The goals and objectives of the Master Plan, which will guide the Town’s policy, programs, and investment decisions for the next 10 years, are aimed at making this vision a reality.
Wrentham is a charming town, proud of its Downtown and open spaces and a great place to raise a family. More than 1,000 of us have come together through a public process to set a vision for the future. By 2030, we aspire to:
- Continue to cultivate a community-oriented and welcoming culture for all, regardless of race, religion, or age
- Protect more farmland and open space for cultural heritage, scenic beauty, habitat, and water quality
- Become more walkable and bikeable with sidewalks and trails
- Strengthen the Downtown with more ‘Mom and Pop’ shops, small businesses, homes, and places to gather
- Maintain the rural landscape by promoting sustainable land use patterns and shifting away from sprawl development
- Encourage diversity with a mix of housing options affordable to young adults, families, households with lower-incomes, and seniors
- Ensure fiscal responsibility while maintaining high-quality infrastructure and services
To effectively pursue and strike a balance between these goals, we encourage transparent governance, strong civic engagement, and volunteerism.
What We've Done So Far
Committee Meeting #1 - June 4, 2020
- Committee Meeting #1 Presentation
- Committee Meeting #1 Video
Members of the Steering Committee met informally on June 4, 2020 to get to know each other and discuss initial demographic analysis of Wrentham. Not all members had been officially sworn in, so the gathering was not a noticed public meeting, and there were no deliberations or decisions made. Here is a video of the meeting to provide background on the Steering Committee members and the existing conditions analysis. The existing conditions analysis will be used as a foundation for the planning process, and will be presented when relevant as background for the surveys and public meetings.
Committee Meeting #3 - July 28, 2020
- Committee Meeting #3 Video
The Steering Committee met on July 28, 2020 for an Information Session led by Town Staff. The Information Session provided further background on the role of a master plan in Town governance and decision-making, as well as progress achieved and challenges that the Town has faced in terms of planning and development in recent years. In addition, MAPC staff led a discussion on the draft community-wide survey to be released in mid-August.
Committee Meeting #4 - September 14, 2020
- Committee Meeting #4 Video
The Steering Committee met on September 14 to review the initial survey results, review and revise the draft Vision Statement developed based on the survey results, and prepare for the Public Forum on September 28, 2020.
Virtual Public Forum #1 - September 28, 2020
- Public Forum #1 Meeting Video
On Monday, September 28, we discussed the purpose and timeline of the Master Plan process; the results of the survey; the draft Vision for the future for Wrentham; an analysis of current conditions including demographics, the economy, and housing; and key issues and opportunities that the Master Plan should address
- Chat Comments
- Summary of Survey Results
- Full Survey Results
- Draft Vision
Committee Meeting #5 – December 11, 2020
- The Steering Committee met on December 11, 2020 to review the draft Introduction chapter and prepare for the focus groups.
Focus groups and interviews – January 2021
- MAPC and Town staff conducted focus groups with businesses, seniors, and residents of color, as well as interviews with two residents of Wrentham Affordable Housing. Questions focused on housing and economic development challenges and opportunities, as well as follow-up on the survey. For a full summary of findings, please see here.
Committee Meeting #6 – February 18, 2021
- The Steering Committee met on February 18, 2021 to review the Housing existing conditions assessment and draft Housing goals. Watch the video of the meeting here.
Economic Development Commission meeting – February 22, 2021
- We joined the Wrentham Economic Development Commission meeting to present on the Master Plan and review the key Economic Development issues and opportunities.
Committee meeting #7 – February 24, 2021
- The Steering Committee met on February 24, 2021 to refine the draft Housing goals, review the Economic Development existing conditions assessment, and draft Economic Development goals. Watch the video of the meeting here.
Housing and Economic Development Existing Conditions Assessments
- We’ve been busy researching and analyzing Housing and Economic Development in Wrentham to understand the issues and opportunities. We’ve outlined the basic facts and key themes, which we’ll use to develop goals and strategies to achieve our Vision. You can find the Housing existing conditions assessment here and the Economic Development existing conditions here. For a summary of the findings, see here.
- 2004 Master Plan
- 2009 Transportation Technical Analysis for Downtown
- 2012 Downtown Visioning Preliminary Recommendations
- 2012 Downtown Visioning Workshop Presentation
- 2015 Draft Design Guidelines
- 2018 Municipal Vulnerability Preparedness Plan
- 2018 Hazard Mitigation Plan
- 2018 Wrentham Village Zoning Study
- 2018 Route 1 Corridor Study
- 2017 Route 1A Corridor Study
- 2015 Open Space and Recreation Plan
- 2005 Housing Production Plan