Promoting Smart Growth & Regional Collaboration
Looking for COVID-19 Recovery Resources?
We've compiled a list of COVID recovery resources, focused on small business support, economic development, climate and clean energy, education, food access, internet accessibility, planning, recreation, and transportation.
Leverage Technical Assistance Funding to Advance Local Economic Development Aims!
The next MAPC Technical Assistance Program (TAP) call for project concepts will be announced soon! The program provides funding for technical assistance and can serve as a vehicle to identify projects that resonate with community needs.
At MAPC, the Economic Development Team recognizes that each community is unique and strives to create solutions tailored to municipalities’ distinct economic development goals. A sampling of the team’s collaborations with municipal partners includes:
1. Crafting Economic Development Plans: MAPC helps the municipality prepare an economic development vision or plan, incorporating stakeholder engagement, asset identification, and growth strategy formulation. While tailored to local needs, these engagements can include:
- Engaging diverse stakeholders to ensure all voices are heard and considered
- Leveraging the community’s economic strengths to drive sustainable growth
- Promoting innovation, entrepreneurship, and workforce development
2. Empowering Entrepreneurs to Grow their Businesses: MAPC helps the municipality create a business guide rendering the process for establishing or expanding a business smoother and more transparent. This type of resource can:
- Clearly describe important occupancy and start-up approvals and zoning and permitting procedures to save time for busy business owners and identify streamlining opportunities
- Highlight the municipality’s assets and offerings, heightening its potential to attract new businesses and retain expanding businesses
3. Advancing Downtown Revitalization: The heart of many communities is their downtown or town center. Recognizing this, MAPC partners with various entities to offer:
- Tailored plans and support mechanisms to rejuvenate these crucial zones
- Focused support for BIPOC and immigrant-owned businesses, underscoring the commitment to inclusivity and the recognition of the rich tapestry of diversity these businesses bring to the table
4. Leveraging Data Insights to Track Progress: MAPC supports municipal data-driven decision-making. Related services can include:
- Assistance in gathering and analyzing relevant economic performance data
- Facilitation of year-to-year comparisons to gauge progress and areas of improvement
- Development of effective communication strategies to share this data with the public and specific stakeholders, fostering trust and transparency
Municipalities interested in engaging these or related services should contact Angela Brown (Abrown@MAPC.org) to arrange a discussion of potential TAP projects.
MAPC serves as the region’s Economic Development District (EDD), designated by the federal Economic Development Administration (EDA). As part of our work as an EDD, we assist municipalities in their efforts to secure funding from the EDA for a wide range of projects. To discuss funding opportunities, please contact Raul Gonzalez at firstname.lastname@example.org.
As part of our work as an EDD, MAPC creates a regional economic development strategy every five years. This serves as a guide for the economic development activities of MAPC.The strategy design process offers a unique chance to evaluate current conditions that affect the economy and create strategies that capitalize on the region’s strengths and opportunities, address internal weaknesses, and minimize external threats to equitable economic development.
For the 2020-2025 CEDS, the compound national crises of COVID-19 and environmental disasters, and the continuing crisis of racial injustice, spurred the creation of a regional strategy with resilience and racial equity at its core.
Please visit EDI’s Federal Assistance for Economic Development page on EDA’s website at www.eda.gov to view a table of previously highlighted funding opportunities that are still open. This table represents a selection of opportunities available on Grants.gov that may be of particular interest to local and regional economic development stakeholders.